Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dick and The Street

I have to admit, after yesterday's rather…unsettling story, I really didn't feel up to another story - so I cheated. I decided to distract myself with some Philip Dick. The earlier short stories generally deal with war and it's a nice tangible concept to anchor myself after the nebulous uncertainty of Lovecraft.

This morning, however, I decided to soldier on and finished Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family and The Street. The former would have been probably completely unbearable for me had I read it yesterday, because even though I'm not white, I am at some point descended from Africa. However, reading it just before The Street, made it completely bearable. A simple pro-America story with colonialism as a positive attribute! Very different from my normal concepts about the American Conquest.
I think that if there are enough of these "lighter" digressions, I won't have to cheat and can focus solely on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment