Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beginning and, "The Temple"

I realize that I'm starting a bit late in this project, hopefully not too late, but after this morning, I realize that a very telling account will come of this endeavor. To start, although I am, and always have been an avid reader, I have managed to live these thirty two years and neglect one of the most celebrated authors: Lovecraft.
I am currently on the fourteenth story in an endeavor to read all of his works, having just finished The Temple. Several hours after finishing the story, I am considerably less rattled and feel that I can put down my thoughts in a somewhat coherent manner. Perhaps it is because I'm reading these stories, and because the writing style is so unique (peculiar?), and I am usually very heavily influence in how I think by what I read, I found the idea of keeping a journal as I read these stories very appropriate for the Lovecraft stories.
After these few stories, I slowly coming to understand the horror that he describes. Horror, however, is the wrong word. He creates a world of sanity, logic and reason, and into this world he slowly introduces the impossible. Or rather, the unexplainable via reason and logic. It is this juxtaposition, the confrontation of the unimaginable with the desire to find an explanation for it is the essence of his stories.
At this point, the stories make me question mythology, and how mythological these older cultures actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment