Thursday, July 14, 2011

vacation, expatriotism and self-canonization

Okay, I've had my vacation. Read lots during that time: The Colour Out of Space, The Thing in the Moonlight, The Dunwich Horror, The Whisperer in the Darkness and the fictional histories. What was up with those? It was like he intentionally wanted to canonize his characters and event, locations, and items. Okay as a personal study to make sure that the world he's created would stay true to itself it would be okay, but to publish it jest felt icky.
The horror stories were sufficiently horrifying, and read in broad daylight. Although I think I've figured out why this love of his hometown, or ancestral ground annoys: a) I'm an expat b) I'm a black American. If there were any ancestral feeling I'd probably have to a place, they'd be in Africa: somewhere I've never been. And I voluntarily left the place of my birth; possibly because I don't have any irrational feelings holding me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment